As a colleague of mine is fond of saying, life is a sale.
It’s a simple fact, the more persuasive you are, the more you will sell, the more things will be done your way and the more you will get done.
It is naïve to think that the best product or idea will prevail.
No matter how strong the business case, no matter how overwhelming the evidence, people can always find a reason not to agree. And the more you show them they are wrong, the more they push back. When was the last time someone held their hands up to you and said: “You know what, I am sorry – you’re right and I am wrong.”
It doesn’t happen that often.
But people generally don’t disagree to be perverse – it’s because they are human. We have different perceptions, different goals and different personalities. Our brains are not dispassionate computers. Our conscious thinking is swayed and distorted by the complex interactions of emotions and unconscious biases. If you don’t understand and work with emotions and biases, if you don’t work with rather than against the brain, then you are at a severe disadvantage. It is simply irrational to rely on reason and logic alone when trying to influence others. It is like trying to place a square peg into a round hole.
Your results depend on your ability to influence and persuade others.
In this part of The Edge Program, you will learn how to:
- adapt your approach to consider different perceptions, different goals and different personalities
- use our unique 3-stage model to adapt your influencing approach to meet the requirements of any situation
- make people want to agree with you before they even hear your proposal
- use the 5Cs to quickly develop trust, the foundation of influencing
- activate unconscious persuasion triggers that bias people towards your ideas
- apply a simple emotional model that moves people in your direction
- develop and use stories that by-pass the rational barriers that people instinctively construct when facing new ideas
- simplify complex ideas through metaphors and visions
- present rational arguments in a compelling way
- bargain so that when you have to haggle, you get the best possible deal
- overcome resistance to your ideas
The video below introduces the 7 influencing styles that we will cover during the program.
The influencing principles and techniques that you learn on the program will have an impact in almost every area of your professional and personal life: from business proposals through to getting an extension on a project deadline.